Friday 7 October 2016

I was once suicidal, says Kano student who stepped up, studied Law

I was once suicidal, says Kano student who stepped up, studied Law

I was once suicidal, says Kano student who stepped up, studied Law
For eleven years, Hauwa Yusuf has been battling with an ailment which makes her unable to walk, or stand for more than five minutes. It was detected when she was 14, she said. “I was in SS1 at the former Al-Ansar Girls College now Zara Nanono Memorial College when my parents observed that I was having problems with my legs.”
Hauwa was first taken to Dala National Orthopedic Hospital, but her parents were told that the disease has nothing to do with bones and therefore they were referred to Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital. She told Daily Trust Saturday that she underwent series of tests before the disease was finally detected. Hauwa is suffering from Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy (LGMD). It is a progressive sickness because it is increasing, she said.
Despite her condition, Hauwa managed to complete her secondary school education and even preceded to Bayero University Kano (BUK) where she graduated last year with LLB certificate. “Although the sickness started when I was in secondary school, it didn’t discourage me from pursuing my education. Despite my condition, I managed to complete secondary school and went on to BUK, where I read law, thanks to encouragement of my family, friends and classmates,” she said.  

Hauwa narrated that it was a very difficult experience, but as fate would have it today she is a graduate. “I faced serious difficulty and pain attending lectures because I was unable to lift up my legs, even to climb stairs,” she said. “But because lecturers and classmates were always willing to help me, I managed to complete my studies last year.”
Hauwa said she could not stop thanking her family. “No-one’s ever abandoned me, even for a moment because of my condition,” she said, smiling and full of life. She added that before her diagnosis, she suffered from depression. “At a point, I resolved to commit suicide. At that time, I could not sleep because of my condition. But with the help of my parents, I’ve made it.”
Hauwa also told Daily Trust about a kind benefactor: “When the Chairman of Ibrahim Magnet Foundation indicated interest to help me, I could not sleep that day. And God in his infinite mercy, after the MRI and CT scans, showed many things were related my sickness, the foundation declared that they would shoulder my treatment. I don’t know how to thank Alhaji Ibrahim Magnet for what he did. All I can say is that may God the Almighty reward him.
Asked about her future plans, Hauwa told Daily Trust that she wants to be a politician, precisely a Member of House of Reps, at the National Assembly.
Her mother, Hajiya Hadiza Yusuf, said the family has gone through difficulties. “We took her to so many hospitals, but all in vain. We later switched over to herbal medicine, but nothing changed. Till the Magnet Foundation came to the rescue, we had lost hope.”
Hauwa’s mother added that the MRI and CT scan results have raised the family’s hopes. “And the chairman of the foundation has told us that they will help even if she is going to be flown abroad for treatment. He said no matter what it will cost him, he will help her regain her legs.”

Daily post.




No comments:

Post a Comment